What fairytales do you remember from your childhood? National Fairytale Day is Friday, February 26th. Here are some ideas when sharing these stories with your children and a chance to win a copy of a fairytale to read with your children as well!
Most of us know the popular fairytales that Disney adapted to an animated film either from when we were a child, or from the recent releases. According to Merriam Webster, a fairytale is:
” 1a : a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins) —called also fairy story b : a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending”
Here are some fairytales you may remember as a child:
- The Ugly Duckling
- Hansel & Gretel
- The Frog Prince
- The Emperor’s New Clothes
- The Princess & The Pea
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Goldilocks & The Three Bears
- Puss in Boots
- The Nightingale
- Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
When reading fairytales to children, it fosters their imagination and creativity. These stories have existed and been passed down from generation to generation because they have stood the test of time. As you read a story to your children, make it interactive by:
- Asking questions about the pictures
- What sound does a duck make?
- How would that make you feel?
- What color is __________?
- Who are the characters in the story?
- Who is the ‘good guy’ or ‘bad guy’?
- Give the characters different voices when reading
- Goldilocks & The Three Bears (use high, normal & low voices for the bears)
- Use expression in your voice for happy, excited, disappointing, and sad events
- Ask your child to make the sound of an animal each time it appears in the story
- Act out the stories
So, pick up a fairytale and read this weekend! If you are interested in a chance to win a fairytale to read to your children, follow this link to guess Disney Animated Films Based on Fairytales. The giveaway for the fairytale ends on Monday, February 29th, 2016 at midnight. Please visit us on our Wee Music Studio Facebook Page, ‘Like’ the page, tag a friend, and invite them to try the quiz!
*****The giveaway period has ended. The winner is Jess B…congrats, Jess!*****